Over 120 Boston College students have been reportedly sick after consuming Chipotle Mexican Grill (NYSE: CMG) with symptoms related to the norovirus, announced Massachusetts Department of Health , explaining that the main cause of the outbreak was not similar to the one causing a series of sickness in a handful of states, known as E.Coli. The symptoms of the norovirus includes vomiting, nausea, malaise, muscle pain, diarrhea and also incubation can occur within two to eight days. The virus is highly contagious which is spread by poor hygiene, contaminated food and also contact with areas that are already contaminated.
"The news is the latest development in a set of two food-borne illnesses that have been plaguing the former Wall Street darling chain. First, officials linked it to an E. coli outbreak that has sickened 52 people in multiple states. Then, reports of students falling ill in Boston first surfaced . The students were tested for E. coli and norovirus, and the E. coli test results are still not back yet," reported by Katie Little, Staff Writer at American cable, internet and satellite business news television channel CNBC.
Practically all documented cases relating students who were feeling ill at Boston College told Boston College Health Services that they ate at Chipotle Mexican Grill during the weekend. Chris Arnold, Public Relations and Communications for Chipotle Mexican Grill, wrote in an email, "We offer our sincerest apologies to people who were impacted by this incident."
Last August, Health officials claim that the Norovirus was to be blamed for sickening just under a hundred customers who dined at the Mexican chain restaurant in Simi Valley, California.