Chipotle Mexican Grill Inc. (NYSE:CMG) will temporarily shut a restaurant in Massachusetts due to the concerns about another norovirus outbreaks.
The company said Tuesday that four employees got sick. The restaurant in Billerica, a town about 20 miles outside of Boston, was closed for a full cleaning, according to an e-mail of company spokesman Chris Arnold.
Chipotle shares fell as much as 5.59 percent to 495.35 at 11:02 A.M. in New York.
Chipotle has been suffered from its food safety issue since last year. About 200 people got sick toward the end of 2015 after eating Chipotle’s food. According to The Wall Street Journal, about 60 people got sick in 14 states due to two E. coli outbreaks at the end of last year, while about 140 people reported sick because of two separate norovirus outbreaks in Massachusetts and California.
Chipotle’s shares had tumbled 47 percent amid reports of Norovirus and E. coli outbreaks. But after that the stock had rebounded 30 percent since mid-January. The company is trying to recover its reputation by saying that they expected to win back customers and emerge a “much stronger” company on a public presentation.
“Any employees who reported feeling ill will be tested and held out of the restaurant until they fully recover,” Arnold said.
This food issue may be a disaster for the company when the company just began recovering from last year. Investors and customers may have less confidence in the company after continuous food issues.