The Homeland Security Department is working on a new improved terror alert system. Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson said Monday his department will unveil a new national alert system in the coming days to reflect the “new phase” of the terror threat. Jeh believes the change is needed to better inform Americans on the country’s security.
Johnson made these remarks at a forum hosted by the website Defense One.
The thought of changing the terror alert system comes during a time of concerns about terrorism in the United States. Last Wednesday in San Bernardino, a shooting occurred which resulted in 14 people dead and 21 injured. President Obama has called the shooting an act of terrorism.
The new alert system will help back up the current security environment. Homeland Security had already implemented two terror alert systems. After September 11 2001, attacks a much-maligned color-coded terror alert system was put in place. That alert system is no longer used. The current terror alert system in use is the two-tier National Terror Advisory System.
The terror alert system is only activated when specific credible information is provided.
Johnson decided to revamp the alert system after five U.S. service members in Chattanooga, Tennessee, were killed in July in a shooting that is considered as an act of terrorism.
"We need to get ... to a new system with an intermediate level," Johnson said at a security forum on Monday, adding he planned to outline specific changes in the coming days.
A DHS official said that, “earlier this year, Secretary Johnson directed a review of the NTAS to determine how the Department of Homeland Security can more effectively and quickly communicate information to the public and other partners regarding threats to the homeland". "This is not a new system."
DHS will not be releasing a brand new terror alert but an improved one with changes to the current National Terror Advisory System.