SAN JOSE, Calif., July 11, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- Medical device designers can protect surgical tool data from memory-disruptive, high-energy gamma radiation used in sterilization, while simultaneously providing tool security with capabilities such as secure tool use management and counterfeit prevention, with the DS28E83 DeepCover® secure authenticator from Maxim Integrated Products, Inc. (NASDAQ: MXIM). As the industry's first secure authentication solution designed for gamma sterilization exposure, it enhances patient safety and includes both elliptic curve digital signature algorithm (ECDSA) and Secure Hash Algorithm-256 (SHA-256)-based cryptographic features. The 1-Wire® interface allows for simple integration into designs.
- Details about DS28E83: www.maximintegrated.com/products/DS28E83
- Hi-res image: http://bit.ly/DS28E83Image
- Block diagram: http://bit.ly/DS28E83Block
Medical device manufacturers commonly sterilize limited-use surgical tools or sensors through a gamma or e-beam process. High radiation exposure used in either process can disrupt and damage the standard, non-volatile memory (NVM) that electronic medical devices use for auto identification, as well as calibration and manufacturing data. This can jeopardize medical device data and patient safety, both of which are of critical importance for medical device manufacturers.
The DS28E83 secure authenticator integrates a radiation-tolerant NVM to prevent data loss during sterilization. With this capability, device designers can implement cost-affordable protection from unauthorized re-use and aftermarket device counterfeiting. By allowing electronic surgical instruments to undergo gamma or e-beam sterilization, the DS28E83 greatly enhances patient safety. Authentication is implemented through industry-standard and application-efficient elliptic-curve, public-key cryptography to protect patients against the risks associated with non-qualified counterfeit devices or incidental re-use. The IC, which is easy to integrate into a customer's design using Maxim's single-contact 1-Wire interface, is applicable for medical surgical tools and sensor applications.
- Enhanced Patient Safety: Robust NVM withstands radiation exposure of up to 75kGy (kiloGray) used in gamma and e-beam medical sterilization
- Device Counterfeiting, Overuse, and Security Breach Protection:
- ECDSA P256 asymmetric secure authentication
- SHA-256 hash-based message authentication code (HMAC) symmetric key secure authentication
- National Institute of Standards and Technology Special Publication (NIST SP) 800-90B compliant true random number generator for ECDSA signatures and HMAC operations
- One general-purpose input/output (GPIO) pin with selectable authentication control provides the option for a secure switch
- 10kb secured memory for keys, certificates, and user data
- Unique factory-programmed, read-only serial number for tool identification and cryptographic operations
- Easy Integration: Single-contact, 1-Wire interface enables one connection for data, signaling, and power while also reducing the number of components in designs for surgical tools with limited connections to the instruments
- "Previously, manufacturers had no commercial option to integrate security and non-volatile memory into the products that they process through gamma or e-beam sterilization," said Nathan Sharp, senior business manager for the Micros, Security and Software Business Unit at Maxim Integrated. "The DS28E83 combines these two important capabilities to help protect patients against infections and allow surgical tools to be sterilized to the highest standards. In addition, authentication helps medical practices verify the quality of their equipment and achieve the highest level of precision for their devices."
Availability and Pricing
- The DS28E83 is available at Maxim's website for $1.22 (1000-up, FOB USA); also available with select authorized distributors
- DS28E83EVKIT# evaluation kit is available for $65
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
About Maxim Integrated
Maxim Integrated develops innovative analog and mixed-signal products and technologies to make systems smaller and smarter, with enhanced security and increased energy efficiency. We are empowering design innovation for our automotive, industrial, healthcare, mobile consumer, and cloud data center customers to deliver industry-leading solutions that help change the world. Learn more at https://www.maximintegrated.com.
View original content with multimedia:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/maxim-delivers-industrys-first-radiation-tolerant-secure-authenticator-designed-to-withstand-harsh-environments-to-protect-medical-device-data-300679079.html
SOURCE Maxim Integrated Products, Inc.