The “Surfactants Market – Growth, Trends, COVID-19 Impact, and Forecasts (2021 – 2026)” report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com’s offering.
The Global Surfactants Market was estimated at over USD 36 billion in 2020 and the market is projected to register a CAGR of over 4% in terms of revenue during the forecast period (2021-2026).
The market was negatively impacted by COVID-19 in 2020. Several countries were forced to go in lockdown owing to the pandemic scenario, which led people to minimize the usage of personal vehicles, thus creating negative impact on the lubricant and fuel demand and in-turn decreasing the demand of fuel additives and surfactants.
However, the consciousness regarding personal hygiene and clean surrounding has increased in the current situation, which has stimulated the demand for personal and household cleaning products, thus enhancing the market growth of surfactants.
Over the short term, the growing personal care industry in Asia-Pacific and the growing demand for oleochemicals are driving the growth of the surfactants market.
Household soap and detergent is the largest application for surfactants in terms of volume. Surfactants are used as ingredients in a variety of products in the personal care segment, such as foaming agents, dispersants, emulsifiers, solubilizing agents, cleansers, and conditioners, among others. The personal care industry accounted for a healthy share of the global market, thereby augmenting the growth of the market.
Environmental issues address certain key concerns that include toxicity, biodegradability, eutrophication, and lifecycle analysis. One of the biggest challenges faced by the surfactants industry is the level of the environmental effect caused by the use of its various products, like detergents. This is likely to hinder the market growth.
As the demand for speciality surfactants is growing rapidly in various applications, the market for speciality surfactants is projected to increase drastically during the forecast period, thus providing opportunities for innovations in application-specific products.
Asia-Pacific region is expected to dominate the market and is also likely to witness the highest CAGR during the forecast period.
Key Market Trends
Anionic Surfactants to Dominate the Market
- Anionic surfactant belongs to the class of surface-active reagents, in which the head of the surfactant macromolecule remains negatively charged. This allows it to bind to impurities and particles suspended in the liquid.
- Anionic surfactants account for approximately half of the total share of the surfactants market. A growing focus on environmental regulations is expected to increase the demand for anionic surfactants.
- These surfactants are the most common type of surfactants found in low-moisture carpet cleaners, including encapsulation products and traditional shampoos, as they make a lot of foam when agitated, thus driving the product demand.
- Anionic surfactants are also used in removing dirt and sebum, as they are characterized by a negatively charged hydrophilic polar group and enhances frizz and friction. This negative charge helps the surfactant molecules to interact with both the soil particles and carbon fiber, which in turn, lifts and suspends the soil in bubble-like arrangements known as micelles.
- In terms of volume, the three most-used anionic surfactants are alpha-olefin sulfonates, linear alkylbenzene sulfonates, and alcohol ether sulfates.
- High price and supply fluctuations of petrochemical products and reducing dependence on crude oil are likely to drive the demand for anionic surfactants.
- Increasing demand for anionic surfactants in cosmetic products, such as skincare and hair care products in personal care application, owing to its superior characteristics, such as foaming, cleansing, thickening, solubilizing, emulsifying, antimicrobial effects, penetration enhancement, and other special effects, is expected to boost the market demand.
- The current market demand for environment-friendly alternatives has led to a boost in the demand for bio-based anionic surfactants.
The surfactants market is highly fragmented, with the top five companies accounting for almost 15% of the market. Some of the major players in the market include Nouryon, Evonik Industries AG, Kao Corporation, BASF SE, and Stepan Company, among others.
- Growing Personal Care Industry in Asia-Pacific
- Growth of the Oleo Chemicals Market Driving the Demand for Bio-based Surfactants
- Increasing Focus on Environmental Regulations
- Unfavorable Conditions Arising due to the Impact of COVID-19
- Other Restraints
- BASF SE
- Bayer AG
- Croda International PLC
- Deten Quimica S.A.
- Emery Oleochemicals
- Evonik Industries AG
- Geo Specialty Chemicals
- Godrej Industries Limited
- Huntsman International LLC
- Kao Corporation
- KLK Oleo
- P&G Chemicals
- Reliance Industries Ltd
- Sanyo Chemical Industries Ltd
- Sinarmas Cepsa Pte. Ltd.
- Sinopec Jinling Petrochemical Co. Ltd
- Stepan Company
- SulfaTrade S.A.
- Sumitomo Chemical Co. Ltd
- Taiwan NJC Corporation Ltd
For more information about this report visit https://www.researchandmarkets.com/r/1xj1xo
Laura Wood, Senior Press Manager
For E.S.T Office Hours Call 1-917-300-0470
For U.S./CAN Toll Free Call 1-800-526-8630
For GMT Office Hours Call +353-1-416-8900