Amazon.com, Inc. today announced plans to launch its first mid-Michigan fulfillment center, and three additional operations facilities that will support customers in metro Detroit and the Grand Rapids area. This announcement comes as the company celebrates the official opening of three new facilities in the state, including Amazon’s Pontiac robotics fulfillment center.
This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210908005245/en/
A rendering of Amazon’s announced Delta Charter Township fulfillment center, anticipated to launch in mid-Michigan in 2022. (Photo: Business Wire)
Since 2010, Amazon has invested more than $6 billion in Michigan and is proud to have created more than 21,000 jobs statewide. The company plans to add more than 1,500 jobs by the end of 2021 inside its recently launched facilities. The fulfillment and transportation jobs support communities of all sizes, pay an average starting wage of $17 per hour—more than double the federal minimum wage—and provide comprehensive health benefits, paid time off, up to 20 weeks of fully paid parental leave, and more for employees and their families.
New Amazon Sites Coming to Michigan:
- First Mid-Michigan Fulfillment Center: In 2022, Amazon will open its eighth Michigan fulfillment center. The facility in Delta Charter Township will create more than 500 new, full-time jobs. When completed, the fulfillment center will encompass more than 1 million square feet, allowing Amazon employees to pick, pack, and ship larger items to customers, such as bulk paper goods, sports equipment, patio furniture, and larger home goods and electronics. The facility will also house innovative technologies and energy-efficient, zero-emission power industrialized truck (PIT) equipment.
- New West Michigan Sort Center and Delivery Station: New Amazon operations will also be coming to the Grand Rapids area. A new sort center and a delivery station are planned to open in 2022 and 2023, respectively, in Gaines Township. Together, the sites will employ hundreds of people while powering Amazon’s middle mile and last mile delivery capabilities, increasing delivery efficiency for customers in Southwest Michigan.
- New Metro Detroit Delivery Station: In 2022, Amazon plans to launch its sixth metro Detroit delivery station. The site in Canton will employ more than 100 employees and create indirect job opportunities for hundreds of people through the empowerment of the Delivery Service Partner program.
Michigan Sites Now Officially Launched:
- Pontiac Robotics Fulfillment Center: Today, Amazon officially opened its Pontiac robotics fulfillment center. The new state-of-the-art facility spans 823,000 square feet in Oakland County and will employ more than 1,200 associates. Employees will work in a safe, technologically advanced environment to pick, pack, and ship customer orders such as books, laptops, and beauty products.
- Huron Charter Township XL Fulfillment Center: Amazon’s new Huron Charter Township “XL” Non-Sortable Fulfillment Center is now open for business. The facility is designed to receive, store, and package heavy or bulky items like televisions with 50-inch screens. The 750,000-square-foot facility near Romulus will employ more than 100 associates.
- Walker Delivery Station: Delivery to Southwest Michigan customers has become more efficient with the launch of Amazon’s state-of-the-art delivery station. The 112,000-square-foot station employs more than 100 associates. In addition, the new delivery station empowers the success of six small businesses via Amazon’s Delivery Service Partner Program, creating hundreds of full-time driver jobs. For independent contractors who want the flexibility to be their own boss and make their own schedule, there are also driver opportunities for Amazon Flex participants.
For fulfillment center and delivery station images and b-roll, please visit https://press.aboutamazon.com/images-videos.
“We’re excited to expand our investment throughout the state of Michigan with the addition of these new facilities,” said Alicia Boler Davis, Senior Vice President of Global Customer Fulfillment for Amazon. “This expansion not only allows us to better serve our customers across the state, but also enables us to boost the local economy and drive more opportunities for job creation. We’re proud to have created more than 21,000 jobs so far, and look forward to our continued growth in Michigan.”
“We welcome Amazon’s expansion in Delta Township. With an over one million square foot state-of-the-art fulfillment center and over 500 jobs coming to Delta Township this will be good for our region. We also appreciate LEAP (Lansing Economic Area Partnership) who assisted in this effort.” – Ken Fletcher, Delta Township Supervisor.
“Gaines Charter Township welcomes the investment that Amazon has made in our community. We look forward to a long and productive relationship with the company as they, and our Township, grow.” – Robert DeWard, Township Supervisor, Gaines Charter Township.
“We are very excited that Amazon has chosen Canton for its new Delivery Station facility. The project will bring hundreds of jobs to the community, and a new energy to Michigan Avenue. We look forward to working with them for years to come.” – Anne Marie Graham-Hudak, Supervisor, Canton.
About Amazon: Amazon is guided by four principles: customer obsession rather than competitor focus, passion for invention, commitment to operational excellence, and long-term thinking. Customer reviews, 1-Click shopping, personalized recommendations, Prime, Fulfillment by Amazon, AWS, Kindle Direct Publishing, Kindle, Fire tablets, Fire TV, Amazon Echo, and Alexa are some of the products and services pioneered by Amazon. For more information, visit https://www.aboutamazon.com/ and follow @AmazonNews.