HSBC Bank Canada’s 2020 Public Accountability Statement (PAS), now available online at https://www.about.hsbc.ca/hsbc-in-canada/community, details our investment in our communities, customers and employees to support them through the challenges of the ongoing pandemic while continuing to build towards a sustainable future.
- Donated $500,000 to immediate COVID-19 relief, supporting our partners to distribute 480,000 meals and reach 8,300 Canadians.
- Supported almost 6,000 customers through our COVID-19 Financial Relief Program
- Contributed USD1.3bn in sustainable financing in Canada, part of our ambition to achieve net-zero by 2030.
- Recognized as one of Corporate Knight’s Best 50 Corporate Citizens in Canada
- Signed the BlackNorth CEO Pledge to end systemic racism and partnered with The Black Business and Professional Association (BBPA) to support Black business owners to overcome barriers and grow their businesses.
“It’s inspiring to see how our colleagues, customers and communities continue to adapt and grow in face of an extraordinarily challenging environment.” said Linda Seymour, President & CEO, HSBC Bank Canada. “And I’m proud we’re with them every step of the way as we build back better towards a sustainable future.”
In 2020, HSBC donated over $5 million CAD to community organizations, helping more than 137,000 Canadians access a wide range of programs in the areas of employment, financial capability and climate solutions.
Our colleagues also mobilised to support communities through virtual volunteering and giving back safely. We saw colleagues participate in virtual events from across the country and raise more than $260,000 during our annual HSBC Giving Campaign, bringing the total matched and corporate donation to $779,000.
In 2020 the HSBC Group announced its ambition to prioritize financing and investment that supports the transition to a net-zero global economy. We want to contribute to a future in which economic growth and sustainability go hand in hand, and return on investment pays financial dividends, and environmental and social dividends too.
In Canada, we have provided more than $4 billion USD in sustainable financing since 2017. We also inked Canada’s first green loan and launched an exciting new partnership with MaRS Cleantech to accelerate the adoption of climate solutions in 2020.
In 2020, we supported our colleagues to adapt to changing work environments, including new health and safety protocols for those providing essential services in our branches, new collaboration tools for those working from home and new initiatives that supported mental health and wellbeing.
We were proud to receive an Employment Equity Award from the federal government for the fifth year in a row, and we received top recognition in our sector for our efforts to advance and include women, Indigenous peoples and people with disabilities.
We helped our customers navigate through the uncertainty of the pandemic and continued to invest in making banking simpler, faster and safer – including digitizing many new services – ensuring they have the financial tools they need to thrive. For example:
- We implemented financial relief products and support for students, newcomers and seniors.
- Participated in the Export Development Canada Business Credit Availability Program and the Canada Emergency Business Account.
- Introduced financing solutions to help companies pivot their business to adapt to the pandemic.
We also authorized more than $72 billion in debt financing to more than 10,000 Canadian businesses of all sizes.
About HSBC Bank Canada
HSBC Bank Canada, a subsidiary of HSBC Holdings plc, is the leading international bank in the country. We help companies and individuals across Canada to do business and manage their finances internationally through three global business lines: Commercial Banking, Global Banking and Markets, and Wealth and Personal Banking. HSBC Holdings plc, the parent company of HSBC Bank Canada, is headquartered in London. HSBC serves customers worldwide from offices in 64 countries and territories in Europe, Asia, North America, Latin America, and Middle East and North Africa. With assets of US$2,959bn at 31 March 2021, HSBC is one of the world’s largest banking and financial services organizations.
For more information visit www.hsbc.ca or follow us on Twitter: @hsbc_ca or Facebook: @HSBCCanada
Media enquiries to: