Over 100 people reported that they became ill after eating at an Ohio Chipotle location, writing complaints on iwaspoisoned.com since Sunday, stating that they suffered from food poisoning and diarrhea. Victims did not explicitly say they consulted a doctor for diagnosis linking their illnesses directly to the Powell, Ohio Chipotle location. Two to five employees also called off work stating they felt ill on Sunday and Monday. The addressof the Chipotle in question is 9733 Sawmill Pkwy.
Following the complaints, Chipotle (NYSE: CMG) voluntarily shut down the restaurant on Monday to clean and remove all exposed foods and single use equipment, stating it will be looking into the matter.
"We take all claims of food safety very seriously and we are currently looking into a few reports of illness at our Powell, Ohio, restaurant," the Chipotle spokeswoman Laurie Schalow told Business Insider on Monday. "We are not aware of any confirmed foodborne illness cases, and we are cooperating with the local health department."
This is not the first time Chipotle has had food safety issues and customers reportedly falling ill after eating its food. In 2015, over 100 people became ill after eating at the chain restaurant. Prior to the 2015 health safety incident, Chipotle shares were trading at over USD 700.