FIBRA Macquarie México (FIBRA Macquarie) (BMV: FIBRAMQ) today provided important updates on its ESG performance.
FIBRA Macquarie is excited to announce its first-time inclusion in the S&P/BMV Total Mexico ESG Index, along with only 28 other Mexican issuers, recognizing its ongoing commitment and performance towards ESG. The S&P/BMV Total Mexico ESG Index, launched in 2020, is designed to measure the performance of stocks within the S&P/BMV Total Mexico Index that meet sustainability criteria. The index applies exclusions based on business activities and, amongst other things, is weighted by S&P DJI ESG Score.
FIBRA Macquarie also announced today the publication of its 2020 ESG Report. The complete report can be found at this link.
“Environment, Social and Governance (ESG) factors remain central to FIBRAMQ’s strategy, as part of our ongoing commitment to the environment and to our broader stakeholders including our tenants, local communities, employees and investors. In this context, we are enthused with the all-round progress made across our ESG strategy, as shared in our annual ESG report published today, and the important contribution this is making towards the long-term performance and resiliency of our overall business.” said Juan Monroy, FIBRA Macquarie’s chief executive officer. “Furthermore, the external recognition for our efforts over the prior year is a reflection of the great team effort made, and the recent announcement of FIBRA Macquarie’s entry into Mexico’s leading ESG Index is another important step in our aim of being a leading participant in the advancement of sustainability in Mexico.”
Highlights from the 2020 ESG Report, and additional progress to date, include the following items:
- Improved GRESB Rating. Improvement to its Global Real Estate Sustainability Benchmark (GRESB) rating, increasing to a 3-star rating in FY20 from a 2-star rating in FY19.
- Green Lease Leader. Recognition as a Green Lease Leader by the Institute for Market Transformation and the U.S. Department of Energy’s Better Buildings Alliance. FIBRA Macquarie is honored to be the first Mexican-based real estate participant to be recognized as part of the Green Lease Leader program. Launched in 2014, Green Lease Leaders sets standards for what constitutes a green lease, while recognizing landlords and tenants who modernize their leases to spur collaborative action on energy efficiency, cost-savings, air quality, and sustainability in buildings.
- Green Building Certification Program. Increase during the year in the number of properties possessing a Green Building Certification. FIBRA Macquarie now owns six retail centers which have received BOMA Best certification, and two industrial properties which have received LEED ® (Shell and Core) certification. Of note, the most recently constructed property in Ciudad Juarez, completed and leased during 2020, is the first industrial building in Latin America to achieve LEED v4 Core and Shell Gold certification, setting a new standard in the region.
- Appointment of Sara Neff as an independent member to the Technical Committee, adding leading ESG skills and experience in the real estate industry at the Technical Committee level, whilst also adding diversity.
- Enhanced reporting disclosures. The 2020 ESG Annual report further expands FIBRA Macquarie’s reporting disclosures by increasing upon its Sustainability Accounting Standard
- Board (SASB) aligned disclosures, initiating reporting disclosures on Task Force on Climate-related Financial Disclosures (TCFD), as well as providing increased disclosures on energy, water and greenhouse gas emissions, compared to the prior year.
About FIBRA Macquarie
FIBRA Macquarie México (FIBRA Macquarie) (BMV:FIBRAMQ) is a real estate investment trust (fideicomiso de inversión en bienes raíces), or FIBRA, listed on the Mexican Stock Exchange (Bolsa Mexicana de Valores) targeting industrial, retail and office real estate opportunities in Mexico, with a primary focus on stabilized income-producing properties. FIBRA Macquarie’s portfolio consists of 236 industrial properties and 17 retail properties, located in 20 cities across 16 Mexican states as of March 31, 2021. Nine of the retail properties are held through a 50/50 joint venture. For additional information about FIBRA Macquarie, please visit www.fibramacquarie.com.
USGBC® and the related logo are trademarks owned by the U.S. Green Building Council® and are used with permission. LEED®—an acronym for Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design™—is a registered trademark of the U.S. Green Building Council® and are used with permission.
Cautionary Note Regarding Forward-looking Statements
This release may contain forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements involve inherent risks and uncertainties. We caution you that a number of important factors could cause actual results to differ significantly from these forward-looking statements and we undertake no obligation to update any forward-looking statements.
None of the entities noted in this document is an authorized deposit-taking institution for the purposes of the Banking Act 1959 (Commonwealth of Australia). The obligations of these entities do not represent deposits or other liabilities of Macquarie Bank Limited ABN 46 008 583 542 (MBL). MBL does not guarantee or otherwise provide assurance in respect of the obligations of these entities.
THIS RELEASE IS NOT AN OFFER FOR SALE OF SECURITIES IN THE UNITED STATES, AND SECURITIES MAY NOT BE OFFERED OR SOLD IN THE UNITED STATES ABSENT REGISTRATION OR AN EXEMPTION FROM REGISTRATION UNDER THE U.S. SECURITIES ACT OF 1933, AS AMENDED.
THIS ANNOUNCEMENT IS NOT FOR RELEASE IN ANY MEMBER STATE OF THE EUROPEAN ECONOMIC AREA.
Tel: +52 (55) 9178 7751
Tel: +1 203 682 8265
Tel: +1 203 682 8263
For press queries:
Flavio J. Díaz-Tueme
Tel: +52 (55) 5520 5460