The “Silicon Epitaxial Wafer Market – Growth, Trends, COVID-19 Impact, and Forecasts (2021 – 2026)” report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com’s offering.
The silicon epitaxial wafer market is expected to register a CAGR of 4.42% during the forecast period from 2021 – 2026.
- SweGaN AB
- Sumco Corporation
- GlobalWafers Japan CO. Ltd
- Siltronic AG
- MOSPEC Semiconductor Corporation
- IQE PLC
- II-VI Incorporated
- SHOWA DENKO K.K.
Key Market Trends
Power Electronics are Expected to Have a Significant Share
- The growing need for power-efficient products is one of the major factors driving the demand for the epitaxial wafer for power electronics products, across all the end-user industries. Therefore, the vendors of the market studied are targeting a wide range of industries, to mitigate risk and expand their customer base. The IGBT and MOSFET markets may continue to increase, but a part of the market is expected to go to SiC, especially when discussing modules for EV/HEV. Moreover, the demand for power MOSFET is supported by its growing use in replacing insulated-gate, bipolar transistors, and thyristors. Additionally, the significant advantage of using power MOSFET in reinforcing the power efficiency of devices at low voltages further drives the demand for the global power MOSFET market.
- The increasing usage of power electronics in consumer electronic devices is also fuelling the demand. The growing penetration of smartphones and smart devices, increasing the adoption of IoT devices, and increasing industrial usage is also a developing market for power electronics. The high demand for power electronics devices has also resulted in a shortage of 200 mm wafers, in 2018 and 2019. The customer demand is falling because major customers still have vast equipment inventory. The long-term growth in the power electronics market is also driving 300 mm wafer-based production. More than seven global power electronics vendors have announced an investment in new fabrication capabilities to be in production from 2021.
Asia-Pacific is Expected to Hold Major Share
- The semiconductor wafer market is expected to start ramping up 200 mm manufacturing, between 2021-2022. The overall demand for 300 mm wafers is expected to grow by 2025; the market studied may also witness advancement and innovation. Due to their dominance in semiconductor manufacturing, Asia-Pacific is also dominating the market studied. The high market price of the SiC substrate and the growing LED demand forced many Asian manufacturers to GaN wafers. However, in 2019-2020, many of the Chinese LED manufacturers overproduced GaN wafers. The Metalorganic Chemical Vapour Deposition (MOCVD) market is also witnessing a significant overcapacity for GaN LED production compared to what is produced.
- The studied market is also seeing an increasing number of partnerships and collaborations in the region, which is also expected to bring advancement into the studied market and will also expand the scope over the forecast period. For instance, in June 2020, Taiwan-based LED epitaxial wafer and chip manufacturer, Epistar, and vertically integrated LED firm, Lextar Electronics (a subsidiary of AU Optronics), announced to jointly establish a ‘holding company A’ via share conversion. Acting as an III-V semiconductor investment platform, Company A is committed to flourishing existing businesses of Epistar and Lextar and exploring advanced technologies for applications, including mini/micro-LED displays, intelligent sensing, and III-V microelectronics fields.
- In June 2020, Taiwan-based supplier of compound semiconductor epitaxial wafers, Intelligent Expiataxy Technology (IntelliEPI), installed new 6-8 sets of MBE (molecular beam epitaxy) equipment at its new plant, for production of GaN/SiC epitaxial wafers, during the second half of 2020. This was mainly to increase the company’s output to meet the demand arising from the proliferation of 5G. The company also witnessed a revenue growth in 2019 due to the growing demand for GaAs and InP-based epi wafers to support 5G infrastructure applications. It is also engaged in the development of HBT (heterojunction bipolar transistor) products jointly with its clients.
Key Topics Covered:
2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4 MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.3 Industry Attractiveness – Porter’s Five Force Analysis
4.4 Market Drivers
4.4.1 Miniaturization of Technology
4.4.2 Rise in Demand of High Performance Lighting
4.5 Market Restraints
4.5.1 Complexities Associated with the Design
4.6 Impact of COVID-19 on the Overall Semiconductor Industry
5 MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 By Application
5.1.1 Power Electronics
5.1.3 RF Electronics
5.2 By Type of Wafer
5.3.4 North America
5.3.6 Rest of the World
6 DETAILED MAPPING OF EPITAXIAL WAFER TYPE WITH PREFERRED APPLICATION
7 EPITAXIAL GROWTH APPLICATIONS AND OPPORTUNITIES
8 KEY ATTRIBUTES OF AN EPITAXIAL WAFER
9 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
9.1 Company Profiles
10 MARKET OUTLOOK AND INVESTMENT SCENARIO
For more information about this report visit https://www.researchandmarkets.com/r/1mxakv
Laura Wood, Senior Press Manager
For E.S.T Office Hours Call 1-917-300-0470
For U.S./CAN Toll Free Call 1-800-526-8630
For GMT Office Hours Call +353-1-416-8900