TORONTO, June 22, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) — The Investment Funds Institute of Canada (IFIC) today announced mutual fund net sales and net assets for May 2018.
The combined assets of Canada’s mutual fund industry totalled $1.50 trillion. Assets increased by $17.4 billion or 1.2% compared to April 2018.
The mutual fund industry recorded net redemptions of $32 million and year-to-date net sales of $14.9 billion.
- Long-term fund net redemptions were $211 million in May and year-to-date net sales were $14.5 billion. Year-to-date long-term fund net sales were 45.3% lower than year-to-date, 2017.
- Balanced fund net redemptions were $500 million in May and year-to-date net sales were $7.8 billion. Year-to-date balanced fund net sales were 48.5% lower than year-to-date, 2017.
- Equity fund net sales were $236 million in May and year-to-date net sales were $4.3 billion. Year-to-date equity fund net sales were 7.1% higher than year-to-date, 2017.
- Bond fund net redemptions were $223 million in May and year-to-date net sales were $1.1 billion. Year-to-date bond fund net sales were 81.3% lower than year-to-date, 2017.
- Money Market fund net sales were $179 million in May 2018 and year-to-date net sales were $461 million. Year-to-date money market fund net sales were 212% higher than year-to-date, 2017.
Net Sales ($ Millions)
|Asset Class||May 2018||Apr 2018||May 2017||YTD 2018||YTD 2017|
|Total Long-Term Funds||-211||370||4,518||14,454||26,408|
|Total Money Market Funds||179||88||-217||461||-412|
Net Assets ($ Billions)
|Asset Class||May 2018||Apr 2018||May 2017||Dec 2017|
|Total Long-Term Funds||1,477.8||1,460.6||1,404.3||1,452.8|
|Total Money Market Funds||24.9||24.7||24.0||24.2|
* Balanced funds include funds that invest in a mix of stocks and bonds as well as funds that invest in a mix of separate stand-alone funds.
IFIC makes every effort to verify the accuracy, currency and completeness of the information; however, IFIC does not guarantee, warrant, represent or undertake that the information provided is correct, accurate or current.
The Investment Funds Institute of Canada is the voice of Canada’s investment funds industry. IFIC brings together 150 organizations, including fund managers, distributors and industry service organizations, to foster a strong, stable investment sector where investors can realize their financial goals. By connecting Canada’s savers to Canada’s economy, our industry contributes significantly to Canadian economic growth and job creation. The organization is proud to have served Canada’s investment funds industry and its investors for more than 50 years. To learn more about IFIC, please visit www.ific.ca.
For more information please contact:
Senior Manager, Communications and Public Affairs