SymBiosis Capital Management, LLC (“SymBiosis”) today announced its launch as a newly independent venture capital firm focused on advancing biotherapeutics innovations. Investing since 2019, SymBiosis has received significant, long-term capital commitments to actively support its current portfolio of more than 20 investments and fund future investments.
SymBiosis is led by Chidozie Ugwumba, Managing Partner, together with an experienced team of investment professionals with a track record of partnering with companies developing groundbreaking medicines. The growing SymBiosis team will continue to target opportunities across disease area, financing stage, and geography, with a focus on private companies with programs in, or about to enter, human trials. SymBiosis expects to initially deploy $5-$15 million per investment, with the ability to scale up to over $30 million per investment across multiple financings. The firm will continue to serve as both a lead and syndicate participant in financing rounds.
Mr. Ugwumba said, “SymBiosis begins its new chapter at an extraordinary time when innovation in biotechnology is accelerating. While humanity is still in the early stages of engineering biology, we expect the field will transform human life in the years to come, and ultimately define the twenty-first century. Supported by innovative long-term investors and entrepreneurial managers, applications in biology have great potential to treat—or better, cure—human disease. We are tremendously excited by the pipeline of innovations to come and the contributions that our current and future investments will make to human life.”
SymBiosis is actively seeking curious, rigorous, collaborative, and passionate individuals to join its diverse and growing team, which includes:
- Chidozie Ugwumba, Managing Partner: Mr. Ugwumba leads sourcing, due diligence and execution of investments, and serves as an advisor to SymBiosis’ portfolio companies. Prior to SymBiosis, he was Managing Director, Direct Investments at WIT, LLC.
- Aleksei Cremo, Vice President: Mr. Cremo helps to manage sourcing, due diligence and execution of investments, and serves as an advisor to SymBiosis’ portfolio companies. Prior to SymBiosis, he was an Associate focused on direct venture capital investments at WIT, LLC.
- Nick Smith, Investment Associate: Mr. Smith supports sourcing, due diligence, and other investment activities. Prior to SymBiosis, he was a Senior Analyst focused on direct venture capital investments at WIT, LLC.
- Molly Connor, Chief of Staff: Ms. Connor manages organizational and operational initiatives. Prior to SymBiosis, she was a Coordinator at WIT, LLC.
Key positions SymBiosis is seeking to fill are:
- Analytics Platform Lead
- Business Development Lead
- General Counsel
- Operating Advisors
Mr. Ugwumba concluded, “The continued success of SymBiosis will be driven by the strength of our team. We look forward to welcoming future team members who share our interest in and excitement for the lifesaving opportunities in biotechnology.”
About SymBiosis Capital Management, LLC
SymBiosis Capital Management, LLC is a venture capital firm focused on advancing biotherapeutics innovations. Led by Chidozie Ugwumba, Managing Partner, together with an experienced team of professionals, SymBiosis invests across disease area, financing stage, and geography, with a focus on programs in, or about to enter, human trials. The firm currently manages a portfolio of more than 20 investments and has significant, long-term capital commitments to fund future investments. For more information, please visit www.symbiosis.vc or follow us on LinkedIn.
Mark Semer/Amanda Shpiner
Gasthalter & Co.